Business News, Personal Finance, Financial News, India Stock Market Investing, Economy News, SENSEX, NIFTY, NSE, BSE Live, IPO News.
- Weekly roundup: Sensex, Nifty scale new peaks
[8 Mar 14, 10:54am] The benchmark indices - S&P BSE Sensex and the CNX Nifty - were in a record-breaking spree. The former hovered near the key milestone of 22,000-mark, while the latter breached the historic landmark of 6,500 this week.
- SBI mulls selling bad assets to ARCs in Jan-Mar quarter
[8 Mar 14, 9:17am] NPA reduction is a major focus of the bank, she said but declined set a target where the bank aims to bring it down by way of recovery, restructuring or hiving it off to ARCs.
- Cinepolis sets aggressive expansion targets in India
[8 Mar 14, 8:48am] Cinepolis is world's fourth largest cinema exhibition company, which has been in India since 2007, with 84 operational screens. It wants to raise the number to 400 by 2017.
- Forex reserves rise $954.6 mn to $294.3 bn
[8 Mar 14, 7:44am] Foreign currency assets (FCAs), a major part of the overall reserves, increased by $33.6 million to $266.90 billion for the week ended February 28.
- RBI raises FII purchase limit in Manappuram Finance
[8 Mar 14, 6:57am] The RBI decision comes after Manappuram Board passed a resolution to enhance the limit for purchase of its equity shares and convertible debentures by FIIs.
- Infotech to buy US-based Softential for over $17mn
[8 Mar 14, 5:39am] IT firm Infotech Enterprises will acquire US-based Softential for over $17 million in cash (Rs 104 crore), aimed at strengthening its telecom and enterprise solutions portfolio.
- Ranbaxy recalls over 64,000 bottles of Lipitor in US
[8 Mar 14, 4:46am] Drug maker Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd has recalled more than 64,000 bottles of the generic versions of its cholesterol-lowering drug in the United States due to reports of a dose mix-up, US regulators said.
- Competition panel gives nod to Rs 870 cr Thomas Cook deal
[8 Mar 14, 4:15am] The Rs 870 crore-deal involving merger of Sterling Holiday Resorts with travel firm Thomas Cook (India) has received the Competition Commission's approval.
- Enforcement Directorate arrests CEO in NSEL case
[8 Mar 14, 3:43am] The Enforcement Directorate on Friday arrested the CEO of a defaulting firm on money laundering charge in connection with its probe in the National Spot Exchange Limited (NSEL) scam case.
- Reliance Jio raises Rs 10K cr via non-convertible debentures
[8 Mar 14, 3:14am] Market sources claim Life Insurance Corporation of India has made a sizeable investment in the company, subscribing to its Rs 10,000 crore privately placed debentures (PPD).
- Wipro, HCL CEOs get UN award for promoting gender equality
[7 Mar 14, 4:21pm] Wipro and its CEO and Board Member T K Kurien and HCL Technologies President and CEO Anant Gupta have been awarded the Women's Empowerment Principles (WEPs) Leadership awards.
- HC allows RInfra to amend defamation suit against AAP
[7 Mar 14, 3:58pm] Reliance Infrastructure, a power distribution company, said it wanted to carry out amendments as it had collected some material which would strengthen its case against AAP.
- 149 stocks hit 52-week high as markets make new highs
[7 Mar 14, 3:46pm] Among the stocks that touched their one-year high were Adani Ports, Apollo Tyres, Bharti Infratel, Hindustan Construction Company, L&T and SKS Microfinance.
- Indian Oil to buy stake in Petronas' LNG project
[7 Mar 14, 3:38pm] The acquisition of stake in Progress Energy Resources Corp's shale gas assets and Pacific NorthWest LNG for 1 billion Canadian dollars ($900 million) marks IOC's maiden entry into North America.
- Lata Mangeshkar is India's most admired woman: Poll
[7 Mar 14, 2:16pm] The veteran star was followed by retired Indian Police Service officer Kiran Bedi with 26 percent votes. While Boxer Mary Kom and social activist Medha Patkar grabbed the 3th and 4th spot respectively, Madhuri Dixit bagged 7 percent votes.
- 'General election is a potential trigger for rupee volatility'
[7 Mar 14, 2:06pm] Rajiv Biswas, Asia-Pacific Chief Economist at IHS Global Insight, believes that the rupee could become volatile and depreciate further if a weak coalition government takes over after the General Election in April and May.
- International Women's day: Jet offers discount for two months
[7 Mar 14, 1:27pm] While private carrier Jet Airways has announced discounted tickets with a two months booking window and 11 months validity, budget carrier Goair has offered upgrade to business class at low prices.
- Rupee logs best gain since Dec, breaches 61-mark intra-day
[7 Mar 14, 1:11pm] For the week, rupee gained 68 paise-the best gain since the week ending December 6, 2013 when it was up 103 paise. Weak dollar overseas and selling of the American currency by exporters kept the rupee upbeat, said forex traders.
- Current account deficit to be less than $40 bn: FM
[7 Mar 14, 12:51pm] "On the CAD, the budget speech says it will be contained below $45 billion. Today, 23 days before the end of the year, we can say confidently that the CAD will be contained at below say $40 billion," said Chidambaram.
- Fewer Indian women at senior positions in workforce
[7 Mar 14, 12:29pm] According to the findings of a new study by Grant Thornton, titled International Business Report, the proportion of women in senior positions in the Indian workforce fell from 19 per cent in 2013 to 14 per cent in 2014.
- How the First Crimean War triggered revolt of 1857 in India
[8 Mar 14, 7:13pm] How the First Crimean War triggered revolt of 1857 in IndiaFor the Russians India was a rich, warm target far more tempting than the bleak and chilly interiors of Asia that lay between them.
- Modi a "property dealer" for Ambani, Adani and Tatas: Kejriwal
[8 Mar 14, 5:32pm] Modi a "property dealer" for Ambani, Adani and Tatas: Kejriwal Addressing his maiden rally in Gujarat, Kejriwal said the Gujarat CM denied him appointment yesterday because he was "afraid" of facing him.
- Kejriwal a maverick, Modi well advised not to meet him: BJP
[8 Mar 14, 5:07pm] Ignoring a "maverick" is a safer option as it saves you from a "gatecrasher's bizzare agenda", BJP said as it sought to justify Modi denying an an audience to Arvind Kejriwal.
- Shinde is pride of people, says Sharad Pawar
[8 Mar 14, 4:40pm] Sharad Pawar appealed to party workers to ensure victory of Union Home Minister Shinde from Solapur seat in upcoming Lok Sabha elections.
- Varanasi controversy echoes in BJP CEC meeting
[8 Mar 14, 4:38pm] The reported controversy over who will contest from Varanasi Lok Sabha constituency today found its echo at the meeting of BJP's Central Election Committee meeting.
- UPA govt 'insensitive' to women's issues: Modi
[8 Mar 14, 4:36pm] BJP's prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi today sought to woo women voters by promising to work for their empowerment.
- Leader of Opposition in Odisha Bhupinder Singh quits, joins BJD
[8 Mar 14, 4:30pm] Bhupinder Singh along with legislature party secretary Anup Sai resigned from the Congress today sending shockwaves in political circles in the state.
- Instagram signs deal, pegged at $100 million, with major ad agency
[8 Mar 14, 3:45pm] Instagram signs deal, pegged at $100 million, with major ad agencyCalifornia-based Facebook is carefully adding magazine-quality photo ads to Instagram as it hopes to bring in revenue from the service without alienating users.
- Seniors within BJP not happy with Modi, claims Khurshid
[8 Mar 14, 3:36pm] Khurshid claimed that senior BJP leaders Sushma Swaraj and LK Advani made comments against Modi on social networking site Twitter.
- Not merged with BJP, still committed to secularism: Ram Vilas Paswan
[8 Mar 14, 3:32pm] Not merged with BJP, still committed to secularism: Ram Vilas PaswanPaswan and Ramdas Athavale asserted that they have "not merged" with BJP but joined the NDA camp as per a Common Minimum Programme.
- India, US move on since Khobragade row, immunity issue insulated
[8 Mar 14, 3:29pm] India, US move on since Khobragade row, immunity issue insulatedIndia said it has "insulated" the issue of privileges and immunity from rest of its relationship with the US, which was one of its strategic partners.
- Arvind Kejriwal's supporters launch marchandise to popularise brand AAP
[8 Mar 14, 1:18pm] Arvind Kejriwal's supporters launch marchandise to popularise brand AAPIn order to popularise brand AAP and its leader Arvind Kejriwal, a private firm is planning to come up with AAP jhadu (broom) and mineral water, alongwith other marchandise.
- 'Mkt momentum to continue; Nifty may touch 6700'
[8 Mar 14, 1:12pm] A good way to trade now would be to hold out your long position with slightly tight in stop losses, says Mitesh Thacker.
- Sensex at 22,500? How end to $85 billion QE is good
[8 Mar 14, 1:05pm] Sensex at 22,500? How end to $85 billion QE is good Deutsche Bank has reiterated its year-end target for Sensex at 24K; while most experts see the index hitting 22,500 in the near term.
- Is Narendra Modi 'scared' of contesting against Arvind Kejriwal, asks AAP
[8 Mar 14, 12:40pm] Is Narendra Modi 'scared' of contesting against Arvind Kejriwal, asks AAPAam Aadmi Party (AAP) today asked the BJP to announce the seat from where Narendra Modi would be contesting the Lok Sabha election.
- Gold recovers modestly on fresh demand, silver slips
[8 Mar 14, 10:11am] Silver dropped further on heavy selling by stockists and retail investors on the back of reduced demand from industrial users as well as weak global cues.
- Boeing 777 plane had strong safety record
[8 Mar 14, 10:11am] Boeing planes have a solid safety record and have been among the world's most widely-flown passenger jets since first entering service in 1995.
- Battle for Crimea may hit mkts, else Sensex seen at 22,000
[8 Mar 14, 9:38am] Battle for Crimea may hit mkts, else Sensex seen at 22,000The concern looming large on Dalal Street is the raging battle for Crimea, which is far from over, and has the potential to escalate.
- Crimea referendum worrying, serious development: UN
[8 Mar 14, 9:17am] The move comes amid rising tensions in the region, where additional Russian troops and armoured vehicles have recently been deployed.
- China reports first trade deficit in 11 months
[8 Mar 14, 9:10am] China reported a trade deficit in Feb mainly due to distortion by the Chinese New Year holidays, marking the first deficit since April 2013.
- Narendra Modi a 'property dealer' for Ambani, Adani and Tatas: Arvind Kejriwal
[8 Mar 14, 6:19pm] People of Gujarat are fed up of corruption and want a change: Arvind Kejriwal targets Narendra Modi.
- 1 killed, 2 injured in accident at under-construction nuke submarine
[8 Mar 14, 6:07pm] The under-construction nuclear submarine was a follow-up of the Navy's warship INS Arihant.
- Terror angle rises in missing Malaysia Airlines plane as 2 Europeans on list not on board
[8 Mar 14, 4:52pm] Missing Malaysia Airlines plane that is said to have crashed, may well have a terror angle to it, although it has not been confirmed yet.
- Missing Malaysia Airline plane has stolen Italian, Austrian passports onboard
[8 Mar 14, 4:37pm] First signs emerge that Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 that went missing with 239 people onboard crashed.
- Malaysia Airlines: Chennai woman, three of Mumbai family feared dead
[8 Mar 14, 4:25pm] Malaysia Airlines: Indian High Commission in Kuala Lumpur has sent two diplomats to assist the families.
- Bharatiya Janata Party against tariff hike in Delhi till CAG audit is over
[8 Mar 14, 4:05pm] Power tariff hike now would be a burden on public, says Bharatiya Janata Party.
- 182 Indigo airlines Airbus 320 plane passengers escape horror after after fire breaks out in Nepal airport
[8 Mar 14, 3:42pm] Indigo plane was two-year old with no previous history of any technical fault being reported.
- 3 Americans on missing Malaysian Airlines plane
[8 Mar 14, 3:39pm] The State Department confirms that three Americans were aboard the Malaysia Airlines jet that is missing and presumed to have crashed into the South China Sea on Saturday.
- Shaadi Ke Side Effects box office collection prediction
[8 Mar 14, 2:42pm] Though Shaadi Ke Side Effects had a slow start, it is performing comparatively well at urban centres.
- Malaysia Airlines plane missing: Boeing offers help
[8 Mar 14, 2:28pm] Boeing, the maker of the Boeing 777 flown by Malaysia Airlines that is missing over the South China Sea, possibly crashed, said it was assembling a team of experts to provide technical assistance to investigators.